What is a Lease to Own domain?
Have your eye on the perfect domain but the price is a bit too high to pay at once? Lease to Own is a new option that lets you buy domains over time, making it possible to secure the domain of your dreams right now.
Select a question to see its answer:
- What is Lease to Own?
- How does Lease to Own work?
- How do I buy a domain using Lease to Own?
- How do I manage my Lease to Own domain?
- Are there any restrictions for Lease to Own domains?
- Who can I contact for domain support?
What is Lease to Own?
Lease to Own is another method of buying a domain, different from what you may be used to. Lease to Own lets you pay for a domain monthly using pre-determined terms, rather than purchasing a domain for an up-front fee. This option can give you the flexibility to get the domain you need right now, even if you're still working on getting your business or venture up and running.
How does Lease to Own work?
Lease to Own lets you pay for domains over a specific period of time. You'll have the option to determine the term length and we'll automatically split the total cost of the domain (plus applicable fees) over the number of months you select. Here's a more detailed breakdown of how it all works.
- Use the domain after first payment
- After the first payment, our system automatically transfers the domain to our holding account to keep it safe and available to you. Once the transfer completes (typically within 5 to 7 days), you can manage the DNS of the domain in your GoDaddy account.
- Transfer to you after final payment
- Once you've made your final payment, we'll help you transfer the domain to your preferred registrar and update the ownership records of the domain.
- Stop at any time
- Buyers with an active Lease to Own agreement can cancel the contract at any time. Sellers cannot cancel a Lease to Own contract as long as the buyer is making payments. If you cancel a contract, you willingly forfeit any payments made up to the cancellation and there will be no refunds available. The domain will be returned to the original seller and the buyer won’t receive ownership of the domain.
- Long term service fee
- Long term service fee is a fee percentage added when you pick a period longer than 1 year. The fee is included in the price you see in the Lease to Own dialog.
- The service fee covers the transfer and renewal expenses of the domain, hosting DNS, providing support for years, and the recurring monthly payment processing expenses.
- Service fees by term:
- 2–12 months: no service fee
- 13–24 months: 10% service fee
- 25–36 months: 20% service fee
- 37–60 months: 30% service fee
How do I buy a domain using Lease to Own?
Lease to Own is currently available for a limited number of domains when searching on GoDaddy. When viewing your domain search results, select the option for Lease to Own and choose your term.
How do I manage my Lease to Own domain?
Lease to Own domains will remain in a holding account for the duration of the lease. During this time, you'll have access to DNS settings in your GoDaddy account. After the domain is paid in full, it will be released to you and can be transferred to your account.
Are there any restrictions for Lease to Own domains?
Lease to Own is available for most domains, but there are a few exceptions including most country code top-level domains (ccTLDs), and the following extensions:. NYC, .ORGANIC, .VOTE, .LAW, .BLACKFRIDAY, .HIV, .TATTOO, .VOTO, .SYDNEY, .AMSTERDAM, .JUEGOS, .GIFT, .NRW, .SEXY, .PHOTO, .RUHU, and .MELBOURNE.
Who can I contact for domain support?
Your support options will depend on what part of the process you're currently on.
- Buyer support: For help purchasing a Lease to Own domain our GoDaddy Guides are ready to help.
- Listing support: For help selling a Lease to Own domain, our Afternic customer support team is available.